Victor K. Chen, M.D.
Dr. Chen grew up in St. Louis, Missouri. He believes in a straightforward and pragmatic approach to life and medicine. He became interested in medicine when his close family friends died of metastatic colon and lung cancers, and decided to specialize in Gastroenterology after his grandfather dying of esophageal cancer.
He moved to Reno for the opportunity to introduce Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS) to this area and was the first physician to perform EUS in Nevada.
He obtained a Masters of Science in Public Health in order to better analyze medical research, and to incorporate new scientific breakthroughs in his practice. He has extensive research experience and published numerous scientific papers in peer-reviewed medical journals, as well as authored an invited book chapter.
He feels that listening and empathy are important foundations of medicine.
Dr. Chen served as Gastroenterology Section Chief at Renown Regional Medical Center, Medical Staff Secretary, as well as Chief of Staff at Renown South Meadows Medical Center. He is a clinical assistant professor of medicine at the University of Nevada School of Medicine.
He is an Eagle Scout and was elected to the Order of the Arrow scouting national honors.
Dr. Chen enjoys spending his leisure time with his wife, children and extended family. His hobbies include tele-skiing, biking, camping and outdoor activities.
Reno – South Meadows:
10619 Professional Circle
Reno, Nevada 89521
Accepting new patients:
Dr. Chen is accepting new patients.
Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)
University of Missouri in Kansas City, School of Medicine
Masters of Science in Public Health (MSPH)
University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Public Health
University of Alabama at Birmingham Hospitals
Interventional endoscopy (Advanced gastrointestinal endoscopy)
Case Western Reserve University Hospitals
University of Alabama at Birmingham Hospitals
Subspecialty Board in Gastroenterology, 2005
American Board of Internal Medicine, 2002
In Practice Since:
Honors and Awards:
- Boy Scouts of America, Eagle Scout and Order of the Arrow, 1993
- Missouri Bright Flight Scholarship, 1993 to 1995
- C. Glenn Cobbs Excellence in Internal Medicine Award, 2000
- American College of Physicians National Associates Research Paper Award, 2002
- American College of Gastroenterology Lawlor Resident Research Award, 2002
- University of Alabama Housestaff Research Award, 2002
- American College of Gastroenterology Presidential Blue Ribbon Poster Award, 2002 and 2004
- American Medical Association Physician’s Recognition Award, 2002 to 2005
- Digestive Disease Week Poster of Distinction, 2005
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Sivak Endoscopic Research Award, 2006
- Characterization of pancreatic cancer and intra-abdominal lymph node malignancy using spectrum analysis of endoscopic ultrasound imaging. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2009;2009:1949-52.
- In vivo characterization of pancreatic and lymph node tissue by using EUS spectrum analysis: a validation study. Gastrointest Endosc. 2010 Jan;71(1):53-63.
- Complications of Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography. Gastrointestinal Emergencies 2nd Edition, Wiley-Blackwell 2009 Authored book chapter
- Creation of an effective and reproducible nonsurvival porcine model that simulates actively bleeding peptic ulcers. Gastrointest Endosc. 2008 Sep;68(3):548-53.
- EUS spectrum analysis for in vivo characterization of pancreatic and lymph node tissue: a pilot study. Gastrointest Endosc. 2007 Dec;66(6):1096-106.
- EUS-guided FNA diagnostic yield of malignancy in solid pancreatic masses: a benchmark for quality performance measurement. Gastrointest Endosc. 2007 Aug;66(2):277-282.
- Endoscopic Doppler ultrasound versus endoscopic stigmata-directed management of acute peptic ulcer hemorrhage: a multimodel cost analysis. Dig Dis Sci. 2007 Jan;52(1):149-60.
- A primer on natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery: building a new paradigm. Surg Innov. 2006 Jun;13(2):86-93.
- Intra-abdominal tuberculosis presenting with acute pancreatitis: diagnosis by endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration. Dig Dis Sci. 2006; Feb;51(2):247-51.
- Probabilistic reporting of EUS-FNA cytology: Toward improved communication and better clinical decisions. Cancer. 2006 Apr 25;108(2):93-101.
- Expandable metal biliary stents before pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic cancer: a Monte-Carlo decision analysis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005 Dec;3(12):1229-37.
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration of intramural and extraintestinal mass lesions: diagnostic accuracy, complication assessment, and impact on management.
- Endoscopy. 2005 Oct;37(10):984-9.
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration in patients with non-small cell lung cancer and prior negative mediastinoscopy. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005 Oct;80(4):1231-9.
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration of mediastinal lymph node in patients with suspected lung cancer after positron emission tomography and computed tomography scans. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005 Jan;79(1):263-8.
- A cost-minimization analysis of alternative strategies in diagnosing pancreatic cancer. Am J Gastroenterol. 2004 Nov;99(11):2223-34.
- Diagnosis of gastrointestinal tract lesions by endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy. Cancer. 2004 Jun 25;102(3):157-63.
- EUS-guided FNA of the left adrenal gland in patients with thoracic or GI malignancies.
- Gastrointest Endosc. 2004 May;59(6):627-33.
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration is superior to lymph node echofeatures: a prospective evaluation of mediastinal and peri-intestinal lymphadenopathy. Am J Gastroenterol. 2004 Apr;99(4):628-33.
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy of suspected cholangiocarcinoma. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004 Mar;2(3):209-13.
- Comparison of ThinPrep and conventional preparations in pancreatic fine-needle aspiration biopsy. Diagn Cytopathol. 2004 Feb;30(2):71-6.
- Recurrent metastatic Klatskin’s carcinoid tumor to celiac lymph nodes in a teenager: diagnosis by endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy with immunocytochemical correlation. Dig Dis Sci. 2003 Dec;48(12):2301-5.
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy of patients with suspected pancreatic cancer: diagnostic accuracy and acute and 30-day complications. Am J Gastroenterol. 2003 Dec;98(12):2663-8.
- Prevalence and significance of periduodenal venous collaterals in patients evaluated for pancreaticobiliary disorders by endosonography. Endoscopy. 2003 Dec;35(12):1015-9.
- Yield of endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy in patients with suspected pancreatic carcinoma. Cancer. 2003 Oct 25;99(5):285-92.
- Recurrent mantle cell lymphoma after allogeneic bone marrow transplantation presenting as isolated rectal mass. Dig Dis Sci. 2003 May;48(5):1024-6.
- Screening for hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with hepatitis C cirrhosis: a cost-utility analysis. Am J Gastroenterol. 2003 Mar;98(3):679-90.
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy: a study of 103 cases. Cancer. 2002 Aug 25;96(4):232-9.